Saturday, September 18, 2010

A little piece of Maritime history

Okay, I'm back! Life outside of work has been keeping me pretty occupied the past couple of weeks. Hoping to get back on track now!

I'm still finding opportunities to do touristy things, so it's not for a lack of material - the backlog of pictures I want to blog about continues to grow!

Time to share some pics and stories from a day of educational tourism. This tall ship, called the James Craig, sits in Sydney's Darling Harbour. She has a rather masculine name for a ship (why are ships always female anyway?) and was built in the late 1800's as a cargo ship. She recently underwent a meticulous restoration/makeover before being made available to the public for tours. Now if there is any vessel that might I envy, it would be the James Craig. It's not the makeover but it's that in her 25 years of duty, she has seen so much more of the world than I have... She would set sail from Britain and stop in Brazil, round the tip of Cape Horn, and sail up to Oregon before going back to Britain the same way. She has circumnavigated the southern seas, stopping in South America, Australia, and New Zealand, and has crossed vast expanses of ocean without seeing a day in port for months at a time.

The volunteer guide aboard the ship painted a really good picture of life aboard the ship as a crew member. Hearing about how the crew spent months at sea, having to ration water to something like 5 liters a day for drinking and washing, and eating rock-solid sea biscuits makes my 14-hour trans-Pacific flight with crappy airplane food seem insignificant really.



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment