Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cockatoo Island - the artsy side

So... I interviewed today. After getting slammed in my first technical interview in Australia, I decided it might be a good idea to brush up on things I was rusty on. All that time reading about stuff I'd forgotten had paid off, because they asked me a great deal of questions that had been asked of me before or that I had reviewed answers to in the past few weeks. The ones I didn't really know the answers to I managed to somehow meander my way through (read: BS) and say something my interviewers wanted to hear. It's great when interviewers tell you what answer they were looking for! Shortly after my interview, the recruiter called me back to inform me that I'd been offered the job. It was a moment of disbelief for me; the conversation went something like this:

Recruiter: (nonchalantly) They interviewed about 6 or 7 candidates and.... (blah blah blah) you got the job.
Me: What? Are you serious?
Recruiter: Yes.
Me: Really?
Recruiter: Yes.
Me: Really.
Recruiter: Yes...

Well I hope I don't jinx things again by preemptively announcing this before it is finalized, but I'm to meet with the recruiter on Friday to complete paperwork, so that seems promising enough. I'll withhold the other little details till later...

Anyway, onto the topic of Cockatoo Island... The contemporary art on Cockatoo Island is almost overshadowed by, yet harmoniously melds with the industrial-ness and spookiness of the island.

Here are some pics of some of the more photogenic pieces.

1st: silver ping pong balls scattered about the floor of a roof-less building.
2nd: lots of paint on canvas, too abstract for me to comprehend.
3rd: freeze-frame of a car exploding in mid-air, using real cars.
4th: photographs of Sydney distilled to their most basic forms of light.




Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. congrat!! I am really happy to hear you got a job offer

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks :) I'm not in the clear yet - still gotta keep those fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete