In addition to the show, there were costumed people walking around in their light-themed costumes posing for pictures, and food stalls with an assortment of cuisines.
Sunday, June 13, 2010
Fire Water and multiculturalism
This weekend, the Circular Quay area is being transformed into a lively evening festival of sorts, with the theme being "light". On a tip from a housemate, I went and checked out the Fire Water performance. Fire Water turned out to be a story told through the eyes of an Indian-Australian girl about the perils faced by the first commercial sailors to Sydney from India, incorporating pyrotechnics along with Indian and Indigenous dancers and musicians. I think it served as a nice reminder to the audience that their city was built by immigrants not only fro Europe, but also India. I don't really know how the Indigenous performances really fit into place in the story. Overall the show was pretty good considering it was free, but I thought it was a noticeable attempt by the government to send out a "Sydney is multicultural and inclusive!" message.
In addition to the show, there were costumed people walking around in their light-themed costumes posing for pictures, and food stalls with an assortment of cuisines.

In addition to the show, there were costumed people walking around in their light-themed costumes posing for pictures, and food stalls with an assortment of cuisines.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment