Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tim Tam - chocolate bar or wafer?

Another food post, but not quite as odd.

In the supermarkets of Sydney, there are no Chips Ahoy cookies in sight. Instead, the shelves are filled with tea biscuits and Tim Tams in assorted flavours. Before I set foot in this country, several Australians have tried to explain to me the uniquely Australian "Tim Tam Slam", a way of sipping your coffee through Tim Tam biscuits with the ends bitten off. So for months, I imagined Tim Tams to be chocolate egg-roll-like straws.

Well, it turns out that Tim Tams are not straw-like at all. It's a food that can't make up its mind over whether wants to be a chocolate bar or a wafer cookie. Think Kit Kat or Coffee Crisp, but lighter. I've been warned about the art of the Tim Tam Slam - do it wrong and the Tim Tam disintegrates, getting chocolate and coffee all over the place. One day, if I'm feeling adventurous, and perhaps for your collective amusement, I might give it a try.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Tim Tams are great. Here's me putting in an early request for a box next time you're back in the great white north.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim Tams!!! I've had some before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get Tim Tams, Shiho? If they sell them in Vancouver I may just buy out the store's entire stock (and then claim I brought them all the way from Australia) ;)

    ReplyDelete