Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The street cats of Sydney

This weekend was a long weekend in Australia, with everyone getting Monday off to celebrate the Queen's birthday. I was secretly hoping that with Australia being a commonwealth country and having such strong ties to England, I'd be invited to a big bash where they would serve tea and crumpets, but alas Australians were more interested in getting up at 4:30am to watch their team play in the World Cup. I see that the royal influence is waning :P

I spent much of the long weekend doing neighbourhood recon - I'm trying to get a feel for some of the neighbourhoods closer to the city centre so I can decide which I might want move to. On Friday I decided to explore the Redfern and Chippendale neighbourhoods, so I got off at Redfern train station and began wandering.

I'm finding wandering around this city to be quite enjoyable. It's difficult to walk for more than a couple blocks without coming across something interesting, as I did on Friday when I discovered that parts of Redfern have an air of dodginess akin to Vancouver's downtown eastside. An easy scratch off the list of potential places to move.

Not wanting to allowing the dodge factor to deter me, I kept walking until I noticed a dozen cats hanging about an old building inside a fenced yard. I'm not sure if this was a cat breeding place or if it was a crazy cat lady's house... But for such a sketchy neighbourhood, these were nice looking cats.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. My, that's a handsome cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I see him, I'll make sure to pass on your compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete