Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Blue Mountains

I've been slipping with the daily blog posts. Moving house, settling in to the new place, and booking a last-minute trip Cairns have stolen my attention away from the blog...

An update on what's new with me, in the off-chance you were interested:
- I moved into my new home on Sunday, and have since been feasting on wine and cheese with my wonderful new housemates.
- On Monday, I got word that the paperwork for my job has gone through, and that I'll start work the following Monday (the 19th). Although this will mark the end of 7 months of funemployment, I'm really excited to start this new job!
- I booked a last-minute flight to Cairns (up north, near the Great Barrier Reef) - I'm leaving in 6 hours and will be returning Sunday night before my first day at work! Wish I could have a few more days of overlap with my friends visiting Cairns for the week, but oh well...

While I'm away, I'm not sure if I'll have sufficient access to a computer with an internet connection to post daily, but I'll see what I can do!

And on with the pictures. I took these on a trip I made a couple weekends ago to the Blue Mountains, a 2-hour train ride from central Sydney. At first glance, the mountains don't look blue at all, and would appear to be another Australian misnomer meant to throw tourists off, like Cockatoo Island and Kangaroo Island. But I am told that these mountains are so-named because in the fall, the eucalyptus trees turn a blue colour, covering the mountains in a leafy blueish hue.

The Blue Mountains have some really unique pillar-like rock formations, and so as you might imagine, it is a popular place for rock climbing. In the last picture, those three rocks are named "The Three Sisters".






Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Steph!! Glad you're starting work again and in a beautiful country too! It's almost 7 months for me so maybe I'll find something soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nanci! If you don't find anything at home, come join me in Australia :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nanci, I agree, you should join Steph in Oz!! Great place!!

    ReplyDelete