Monday, July 12, 2010

FIFA Fanfest

So it's less than three hours till the kickoff of the final game of the World Cup, and being the bandwagon sports fan that I am, I'm not staying up till 4:30am to watch. Now, I'm going to admit that this is the first World Cup I've ever followed. And when I say "followed", I mean that I watched two games and I had more or less of an idea which teams were playing whom and what round was being played.

Over the course of the tournament, my housemates and friends have helped me become a tad more worldly by fielding my stupid questions about the World Cup. To give you an idea of how far I've come, here are a few things I've learned:

- England and Scotland are separate countries, and they are represented as separate World Cup teams.
- North Koreans play soccer.
- There are no commercial breaks in World Cup games, so the only time you can take a pee break without missing anything is during half time.
- There is no video replay for goals, nor is there a guy who sits behind the net to proclaim when a goal has been scored.
- Watching slow motion replays of players' expressions can be much more entertaining than the match itself.
- A psychic octopus named Paul seems to have a knack for predicting the outcome of soccer matches - congratulations in advance to Spain.
- Each World Cup athlete is required to adopt an African child and be seen singing their national anthem with their newly adopted child. ;)

No doubt that at Darling Harbour, where they've set up the FIFA Fanfest, thousands of soccer fans are braving the cold in the wee hours of the morning to watch the game on a big outdoor screen and play soccer on a floating pitch.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment